Saturday, June 06, 2009

embarking on a new craft...

...I know, I know. Just what I need. But it's such fun!

I bought the 20" version of the Ashford Knitter's Loom from Paradise Fibers. (Can't say enough about the great service they provide!) I read all of the instructions, checked out a few online videos, and warped the loom by myself. IT was a bit time-consuming only because I was trying to be are careful as possible...I didn't want to mess it up! But I got it warped and started weaving.

My first project is a scarf that uses commercial yarn for the warp and my own handspun for the weft.
Here it is:

My first woven scarf!

I definitely need to work on my edges and I didn't learn about hemstitching until after I washed it. But it's not too bad for my first attempt!

Specs:
Plumcopper Merino-Silk Scarf
Started and Finished 6/6/09
Basic weave
Warp: Mission Falls, 136 Merino Superwash in Cream, 136 yds; Length 80 inches; 62 ends on 7.5 inch reed
Weft yarn: Handspun Plumcopper yarn (top from Yarn Wench) approximately 110 yd
Finished size: 6.5 x 58 inches (including fringe)

Of course, I immediately warped the loom again for the next project! I remembered to take a few pictures this time...here's mid-warping:

Ashford Knitter's Loom, second warping
...and weaving in process:

Silk weaving


This yarn is from a kit by Sweaterkits that I bought from Stitches West one year. Originally for a silk wrap, I think it's perfect for the loom...lots of yardage and two different textures. I put the smooth handpainted silk on the warp and I'm weaving with the bumpy silk chenille. Both are in a color called "Ocean." So far, so good!

This could get really addicting...

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...