Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tuesday studio update...

...there is still a lot to do, but I'm beginning to see a studio emerge from the chaos. As an added bonus, pieces of the dining table and living room are also emerging!

My goal last weekend was to finish emptying the closet in my old room and moving the stuff into the studio. Well, I didn't quite make that goal...there was a lot more there than I thought and I had less time to spend organizing than I expected.

The less time was because of Father's Day. The Daughter and Husband went on a 6+ mile hike not far from where she lives. After that we went to lunch. Because she lives about 35 minutes away, it made sense for The Husband and I to drive to her house together. That meant I had to chill at her place until they were done. I took a small embroidery project and worked on that while they were gone. It was a peaceful way to spend the morning, but it didn't get anything accomplished in the studio!

I probably could be making faster progress of I didn't go through everything before I put it away. Like the cross stitch supplies...I have a lot of those! I went through all of my containers and culled out a banker's box full of kits and fabric to donate to the EGA (Embroiderer's Guild of America). I have a friend in the San Diego chapter of the EGA and I think I'll spread the wealth to them this time.

The Husband and I got the back wall organized on Saturday. One issue we had was that the floor is slanted. Remember, this used to be the garage...the slant is from the old entrance to about halfway into the room. Of course, no one thought to level the floor before they closed off the garage. (I'm not a fan of the people the ex hired to redo this room. This was just one of the issues in this room.) We had to shim the smaller bookcases and cut a piece of MDF for the armoire to level things out.  It's looking good!

Studio work table

In the front is the trial run of my work table. It is an IKEA Galant desk top sitting on two Cubeicals bookcases from Target (yup, these are the ones I mentioned last week). The height is good. We need to work on the placement...I think we're close.

In this shot, you can see that I finally got the rest of the fabric out of the boxes and up on the shelves. The fabric drawers hold some weaving supplies, interfacing, and some small completed cross stitch projects.

Fabric wall

The armoire is closest to the sink so I decided it will house all of the crafts that require water for cleanup...soap, paints, clay, and rubber stamps. Here's an inside view of the aromatherapy and soap supplies, irons, blocking mats, and the other craft supplies. There's a little area on the left where I can hang fabric binding strips until they are used.

Inside the armoire

I'm still working on the alcove. I'm not completely satisfied with the organization of it, but I'm going to keep it this way for a bit so I can see just how much I have. Then a reorganization might be in order. At least I found the work surface in there!

Updated alcove view

Opposite the sewing area will be a couple of bookcases and my quilt wall. They are on hold until The Husband installs a threshold along the atrium door. We need to keep the area clear until he's done. He has to finish staining the threshold before he can install it, so it might be a few days.

I still haven't found any benches that meet my criteria. I think I'm going to give up on the "bench with a back" spec and see if I can find some backless benches. I have a bunch of spinning fiber that needs a home, so I need to find some soon!
.

1 comment:

Elf said...

It's amazing watching your room come together. Years ago, previous house, we finally had custom cabinets and things put in for our very specific needs after battling with shuffling random boxes and bags and shelves and drawers for years, and it was SO wonderful (and so motivational to get everythign organized, as you're doing). Hope you get as much pleasure walking into your new room over and over as I got in walking into mine!

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...with a Finished Object. Every April 1st, we turn off our furnace to help save energy and keep our PG&E bill down. This year, w...