Wednesday, July 18, 2012

WIP-it Wednesday, vacation-style...

...where do I begin?

First, let me answer Elf's question in the comments from Friday's post. I haven't posted a picture of my thread organization because I'm still not satisfied with it. However, I realized today when I was looking for cream thread, that it works OK. So here it is:

My thread drawer

Don't judge me for not having the colors perfectly organized by shade. The drawer barely holds 3 Gutermann or Mettler spools across. I went by general color and how they fit in the drawer. I have too many spools of red thread and not enough cream.

The decoupage project to redo the photo boxes is taking forever. The Mod Podge is still slightly sticky after drying. To counter the stickiness, I have to spray it with a sealer. Ugh! This is a fussy project and I'll think twice before I do this kind of project again.

Decoupaged photo boxes

The teal post-its are temporary until I can make the real labels. I have finished 7 boxes and one wine box. There are still have 14 to do, plus another wine box. I don't think this project will be done before the end of vacation.

On the other hand, the project to cover the fabric drawers is going great. It's straight sewing and quick to do. Basically, I'm making slipcovers for the drawers. They fit snugly over the sides, leaving the bottoms as-is. Because the whole reason for covering the drawers is to hid their original color, I did not leave openings for their handles. Instead, I'm auditioning grosgrain ribbon as an alternate handle.

Slipcover for a fabric drawer

I simply wrapped the ribbon around the box and pinned it temporarily. The teal is not working color-wise, so I'll get a cream or tan ribbon to use once I figure out if this is what I want to do. I can always forgo the handle, but it's easier to get a drawer off the shelf using a handle.

I still need to sew the bench cushions, but I think I'll finish the fabric drawers first. I need to make sure I have enough fabric for them so I can get more if I need to.  I know I have enough fabric for the cushions . Anyway I only have one bench right now, so there is no crushing rush to get them done.

I also need to hang the blinds I bought at IKEA on Monday. Not to mention some household chores that should be done.

I'm rapidly running out of days and there's still so much I want to do. [sigh]
.

2 comments:

Elf said...

Thread: Yup, still love looking at all the colors! Don't multiple layers make it hard to get at the ones underneath? Is it just 2 spools deep? Why I'm obsessing about thread when you have all this other cool stuff going on in your project room, I have no idea.

marie said...

It's just 2 spools deep; getting to the bottom layer isn't a problem. The spools fit better in the drawer when I stand them up, but then I can't see the colors. Because I mostly use cream or gray thread to sew things together, I decided that I didn't need to see every spool when I opened the drawer.

You do have a thing for thread! LOL!

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...