Thursday, January 12, 2017

Doing the last bit of catch-up...

...I've already posted the November, December, and End-of-the-Year recaps. What remains are some photos from the Christmas Day walk we took and a couple of finished objects.

The last couple of years, we've been starting some new traditions for the holidays. in 2015, we started the tradition of going outside on the day after Thanksgiving. In 2016, we did the same for Christmas Day.

We took our time in the morning. We opened gifts and had a leisurely breakfast. We knew we wanted to go outside, but hadn't really thought it out. We decided to "walk the Dish"--hike to the Stanford satellite dish neat the Stanford university campus. We've done it before and it's one of the Daughter's favorite places to run. Unfortunately, because of our late start and the fact that lots of people thought it was a good idea, we had trouble finding parking. We ended up at one of the furthest entrances to the trail, which turned out to be a god thing. The Daughter had never taken that approach, so she got to experience something new.

On the trail to the dish

The weather was cold and clear, so clear that you could see San Francisco.

San Francisco

I took several photos (in this Flickr album).

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had another finished object, but I couldn't show it until it had been delivered. Well, my friend received her gift and loved it! Here are Woodland Animals [Ravelry] with their friend Snowy Owl [Ravelry].

Woodland Animals, group shot 2

Specs:
Started and finished 12/27/16
Pattern: Snowy Owl by Kat Lewinski
Yarn: Palette in White by Knit Picks; DMC floss in black
Mods: Knit in a lighter yarn that called for to make the owl smaller; added feet to match the other woodland creatures.

Started 12/27/16
Finished 12/30/16
Pattern: Wee Woodland Wuzzies by Fuzzy Mitten - knit the Hare, Fox, Hedgehog, Otter, plus accessories
Yarn, animals: Lion Brand Heartland yarn in Sequoia, Mammoth Cave, and Grand Canyon; Lion Brand Vanna's Choice in Chocolate; Paton's Classic Wool in Cognac; Wool-Ease Worsted Weight in black
Yarn, scarves and hat: Kaffe Fassett Design line by Regia in Brilliant (04453); Caron Simply Soft Paints in Sunset, and leftover BMFA sock yarn

I'm helping a friend knit hats for the Women's March in Washington, DC. I've finished one and I'm working on a second.

Pussy Hat 1
Specs: 
Started 1/4/17;
Finished 1/7/17;
Pattern: A Pussy Hat by Julie Packard;
Yarn: Pound of Love in Dark Pink by Caron (I think--he provided the yarn already wound)

OK, I think that brings us up to date.

One thing I need to decide is whether I'm going to continue doing an Eye Candy Friday post. I'm having a hard time posting on Fridays because I only work half a day. By the time I get home, I only want to work on my projects and not be on the computer. Only time will tell...
.

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...