Wednesday, January 23, 2008

falling under the Ravelry spell...

...now I understand what everyone has been saying! It's not just the fact that you can load your info, look up patterns and yarns, and find people with like interests—it's one fabulous piece of software! It's very well thought-out. Yes, it is still evolving, but it is quite impressive.

As a result, my lunch-time crafting has taken a backseat to Ravelry project loading and just plain wandering around in it. Since I haven't made any progress on the WIPs, I'll show you some old needlework projects instead.

If you've been following along, I've been working on this seahorses needlepoint project (latest picture in this post). I've mentioned that the canvas was printed wonky and that I much preferred counted canvas work. My favorite designer for counted canvas work is Susan Portra. I have done three of her smaller pieces and have a bunch of her designs in my stash. Her designs can be difficult to find, but I was smart enough to buy as many as I could find in 1998. Currently, I have 50 of her designs in my stash.

The thing I like about her designs are the different types of fiber that she uses. She uses a lot of Rainbow Gallery threads (rayon ribbons, metallic braids, suede threads), overdyed threads, and some DMC threads. Her color combinations are wonderful.

The first one of her designs that I did is called Navajo. I bought this as a kit from the now defunct store, Running Thread. This is done in an alternate color scheme:

Navajo counted canvas

This is the second one I did is called Taos, part of her City Series.

Taos counted canvas

The third one is Vegas, another City Series design:

Vegas counted canvas

Pink, isn't it? I nicknamed this project the "Pink Nightmare." You know those projects that just go wrong from the start? This is one of them. It took forever to finish because I had to frog a bunch, there is a lot of plain stitching, and the metallics caused lots of problems. Plus it's really pink. I think I've mentioned that I don't like pink. This picture is why you won't catch me doing very many pink projects.

Anyway, that's the end of your counted canvas work tour! Until we go away this weekend, I probably won't get any knitting done. I'll be busy playing in Ravelry! (I'm needleloca if you want to come say hi!)

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...