Eclectic, or just weird?

I was talking to a friend yesterday about the different kinds of music people love and hate. She really doesn't like hip-hop or rap, but loves heavy metal. I, on the other hand, like a lot of the hip-hop and rap stuff my daughter listens to, and don't particularly care for heavy metal. It started me thinking about how different my tastes are from others "my age."

I don't know about you, but when I was in my teens and 20s, I thought people in their 50s were pretty old -- you know, staid, conservative, not open to new ideas, dressing really matronly, the whole "when I was your age..." and "I walked 15 miles to school in the snow..." mentality. Well, here I am on the other side of 50, and I am nothing like that. I have not magically become a matronly, OLD person. OK, so occasionally, my mother's voice comes out of my mouth, but for the most part I think I'm still pretty young.

Maybe it comes from having my (only) kid 10 years later than most people my age and is helped along by the fact that I am married to a man who is 5 years younger than me. Between the two of them, I've been exposed to a variety of music, books, movies, and other interests, some of which I have adopted for myself.

Because of my daughter, I love certain rap, hip-hop, and pop artists, as well as salsa music. We love the some of the same kinds of movies -- chick flicks, romantic comedies, and some animated features.

Because of my husband, I love The Blasters, Los Lobos, rockabilly music, and I'm now able to listen to some country music (yes, there is a story there...that's another blog entry). I've always loved musicals, but it was my husband who took me to see "All That Jazz", giving me a love for Bob Fosse and, inadvertently, Vivaldi concertos. It was through my husband's encouragement that I even attempted to read Gabriel Garcia Marquez books.

I am also fortunate to work in Silicon Valley and have a job that allows me to learn new software applications every year and exposes me to new technology. I work on both Macs and Windows machines and seriously miss working on Unix machines. I own an iPod (my second one because my mini was too small!), use a Palm Tungsten E2 to track my schedule, and create databases to track my stitching stash. Yes, I do geek out regularly!

In my copious spare time, I do needlework: cross stitch (I'm trying my hand at a couple of my own designs), counted canvas work, and a little embroidery. I make quilts and, in the past, have sewn clothes for my family. My latest thing is making melt-and-pour soaps and body scrubs, both
scented with essential oils.

Anyway, it got me to thinking: what do you call a 50-something who

  • Listens to the Black-Eyed Peas, Christina Aguilera, Vivaldi concertos, Mexican music, Queen, the Beatles, Aimee Mann, and the soundtracks to Cruel Intentions, Frida, and Legally Blonde
  • Loves movies by Quentin Tarantino, Roberto Rodriguez, and David Lynch; movies that star Reese Witherspoon, Julia Stiles, Julia Roberts, Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Antonio Banderas, Steve Martin, or Richard Gere; loves all the Star Trek movies, all the Harry Potter movies, and all of the "classic" Christmas movies (White Christmas, Going My Way, Holiday Inn...)
  • Loves the "traditional" home arts of needlework, quilting, sewing, knitting, and cooking
  • Gets excited with new fonts, loves the Unix command line, and waits for the new MacWorld every month
  • Reads romance novels, Harry Potter books, James Patterson, adn Lousia May Alcott
Eclectic, or just weird?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogiversary Contest...

October 2007 recap...

Happy 10th Blogiversary to me...