Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Turtle quilt progress

It's hard to keep my project momentum going during the week. Yesterday, however, I made a point of getting one more thing done on my Mom's quilt.

Let me back up here and describe this quilt a little more. I've been wanting to make my mom a quilt for a couple of years, but I've never found a pattern I really liked. I knew I wanted to make one with turtles (her favorite thing), but all the patterns were too blocky or looked like they belonged in a baby's room.

I finally found a pattern with appliqued turtles that fit the billl. It's "Baby Honu Sea Turtle" by Lisa Boyer and while that sounds like a little kid's quilt, the pattern itself is quite grown-up. My version of the quilt uses green batiks for the turtles and blue batiks for the waves. I added two borders: a narrow teal-and-blue batik with turtles for the inner border and a wide dark blue batik for the outer border.

Yesterday I pin-basted the quilt together, using a pale green and blue batik with a vine pattern for the backing. I'll start machine quilting this puppy on Saturday. I'm not quite sure when I'll give this quilt to my mother, but at least I'm making progress!

I ended the day by adding a few rows to my shawl. I'm using Patons "Glittallic" in Black Tinsel on size 15 needles; I cast on 55 and am just doing a plain garter stitch. I'll add some fringe to it when I'm done--whenever "done" is! LOL!!

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...