Monday, February 13, 2006

Organizing frenzy


This weekend, I did not accomplish much on actual projects, but I did rediscover some of my stash!

For several months, I have been unhappy with the state of my sewing room. It's in the smallest bedroom in the house. While I should be thrilled that I have an entire bedroom for it, it's still a small space and keeping it organized when there is so much stash (LOL!) is a challenge.

About a month ago, I moved all of my cross-stitch charts into a new 5 drawer filing cabinet in our bedroom office. That freed up some floor space in the sewing room where the charts used to be stacked in plastic boxes. I still had a lot of projects that were kits or that I had kitted up in preparation for stitching. I had fiber, yarn, and quilting fabric spilling out of drawers and bins, stacked on my sewing table, and crammed into the armoire. It was out of control!

This weekend I went to the Container Store and bought four small canvas tote boxes. They are now full of cross stitch kits and are stacked on top of the armoire. Several plastic storage containers with things I use infrequently now live on the top as well. Doing this made room inside the armoire to store yarn, batting, and linen, with some space left over. (Yay!)

I also un-kitted a lot of projects (the ones I had kitted myself)
that I know I won't get to very soon. This means that I can put those charts into the filing cabinet, freeing up more space in the room. I still have to sort the fibers and "file" them on the fiber wall, put the linen in the linen drawers,cycle out the Aida, and put away any embellishments.

I also replaced my rolling carts with wooden cubes and fabric "drawers" from Target. I stacked 3 together to make a 6 cube unit and put fabric drawers into 4 of the cubes. These now hold the projects that are in the queue, some quilting patterns, my specialty yarns (sock and scarf), and my Q-snaps, hoops, and other stitching tools. In the open cubes, I have a box for my Anchor threads, a box of the fibers to be filed, and my rolled up needlepoint canvases. My DMC floss chest sits on top of the cubes.

I have now found most the floor, the ironing board, and part of my sewing table. I have a bunch of stuff to file and magazines and books to put away, but I'm feeling so much better about my space! I'll post a few pictures of my newly organized space when I'm done.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...