Monday, February 06, 2006

Yarn store field trip


This weekend I decided that I wanted to start another pair of socks as my new project and finish up a couple of smaller projects that I had started quite a while ago. Since I needed the yarn to start a new pair of socks, I had to go shopping!

I've been meaning to check out this newer yarn store in San Jose, Commuknity, but had just never gotten around to it. So, Saturday off I went to visit the store. Wow, it's huge! It has lots of open space, comfy couches, a large workroom, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. And, of course, it has very nice selection of yarns!!

I found some Trekking XXL yarn that I have been reading about in other blogs - Communknity had just received their shipment and had lots of colors to choose from. After a small amount of agonzing (should I buy only one skein or should I buy two so I can have the next project ready to go? What colors should I buy!?), I bought one skein of "purples" and one of "blues." I also bought
Cat Bordhi's two books on magical knitting. They had some fabulous knitting needles, but I decided to spend my money on yarn rather than needles, at least for now. Besides, I need to save some money for Stitches West later this month! :-)

I'm going to try the Jaywalker sock pattern by Grumperina using the purple Trekking yarn and two circulars - I cast on the first sock yesterday and am working through the ribbing section. I am also going to finish a teal and blue scarf in Moda Dea Cheri (garter stitch on size 17 needles) and another scarf in aqua and purple Athena paired with aqua Rowan kidsilk haze (yarn-over pattern on 15 needles). I might also get to one of my small cross stitch projects, too, but I really want to finish these to scarves first!


No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...