Monday, April 30, 2007

a little cuteness, a little craftiness...

...cuteness:
Sombra
How could you resist that face? This weekend, Sombra wanted me to spend all my time with her. Every time I sat down for a minute, she was there, patting me with her paws or just looking at me with that cute kitty face. Unfortunately for her, I had other things to do.
I unraveled the Here There Be Dragons socks and put the yarn aside for the moment. I found Lagoon and Beryl in the stash and decided that Beryl is the right yarn to use for these socks. I wound up Beryl and divided it into two balls in preparation for the HTBD socks.

I read through the "Knee High to a Grasshopper" pattern and decided that I would start those socks before I did any other socks. I wound Walking on the Wild Tide yarn and divided it. I cast on for the first sock, oh, maybe 4 times. I just could not get the hang of the toe-up thing the first few tries. I've tried toe-up before, but was never successful. I think I've got it now, though.

However, I realized that I didn't have a bag for this project, so I just had to make one for it. I perused my quilting stash for grasshoppers and came up empty. However, I did find butterflies..I found a nice blue fabric with metallic touches for the outside of the bag and a butterfly wing pattern for the inside. I chose a purple with metallic dots for the inside separator. And, voila, a new Knit2 bag for my Grasshopper socks!

Knit2 bagOn the spinning front, I had ordered some Northern Lights pencil roving. It's very pink, but I plan on pairing it with a brown and white roving to get that Neapolitan, ice cream sandwich look. (The brown and white one hasn't arrived yet...)

Pink RovingI also looked at spinning wheels. The Ashford Joy and Louet Victoria are very nice wheels, but a little small. If I ever want to get a traveling wheel, I'd definitely look at them again.

I decided on the Lendrum Folding wheel. It's the largest of the folding wheels and comes with lots of extras in the "complete" version. I bit the bullet and ordered it and now just have to wait for it to arrive!

In the meantime, I'll work on my socks and continue spinning the Grape Jelly roving...I've spun 10 spindle-fulls so far, and still have quite a ways to go!

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...sky-style. Mom's house has a great view out of the back yard. It is not unusual to see a layer of fog in the morning. Headin...