Wednesday, September 26, 2007

one week til vacation...

...and I'm so ready to go (well, at least mentally ready).

I went clothes shopping yesterday, looking for pants and tops for the trip. I found some jeans, but I'm having trouble finding short sleeve tops (everything is long sleeve). I have some that are in decent condition, but it would be nice to have a couple of new ones. I guess I better scope out Kohl's...


I have been knitting away on the Summer of Love Lace socks, but there are only so many pictures of in-progress socks I can show (the curse of the slow knitter). Since I haven't spun since Sunday, I have nothing new on that front, either.

Instead, I'll show you some more pictures of old projects that I have completed. As I mentioned at one point, I'm scanning photographs of my projects so I can upload them to my web site.


Today's installment is a cross stitched afghan I did for a friend's baby. (Sorry for the really bad pictures; film was never my medium and having a really cheap camera didn't help!)

Carousel Afghan 1992-93
Carousel Afghan, view 2
As you can tell by the date in the second picture, this "baby" is now 15 years old! And yes, this was the same friend for whom I stitched the carousel horse picture!

This afghan is the first project where I created a design using elements of existing charts. I collected probably 20 carousel charts and books, and then gleaned items from each. In many cases, the original charts for the carousel animals were hundreds of stitches that I had to distill down to a 45 x45 stitch area.

Here's a picture of my favorite square—the seahorse, part sea dragon, part horse:

Seahorse from Carousel Afghan
What you can't tell in the pictures is that the carousel poles were stitched with variegated gold floss and gold blending filament.

This project took me a long time to do, especially since I had to plot a lot of it by hand. I did have a cross stitch application on my Mac, but it was easier to figure things out on paper first and then transfer it to the program. The center carousel top gave me headaches just trying to figure out how to flatten a rounded object! There was also a delay in finishing it as I had major surgery and was out of commission for a couple of months. I think I finally got it to her before the baby turned 1 year old.

I plan on post pictures of the other animals on my web site when I get a chance. (I think I got pictures of all but one of them.)

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...