Monday, November 19, 2007

lots accomplished, little to show...

...partly because I worked on Christmas projects that are secret, and partly because the you can't really see the progress I made.

**SPOILER ALERT! If you belong to the Petals Collection club, there is a picture of the last installment at the bottom of this post**

Saturday, I worked on the Christmas wall hanging. I took care of all the loose threads, added a hanging sleeve, and worked on the binding. I've got about 1/3 of the binding tacked down, so I still have quite a bit to do. I should be able to finish it over the holiday. I'm having trouble coming up with a suitable name for it, though. Nothing "punny" comes to mind, at least not that I haven't already used for something else.

Sunday, I worked on the Daughter's Peekaboo mittens. I didn't get very far, but at least they are progressing. Tight now they don't look any different than a pair of socks as I'm still doing the cuffs.

I spent a good part of the weekend doing Thanksgiving prep. I made my first run to the grocery store and bought the turkey plus a lot of the other things I needed to get things started. Mr. Turkey is defrosting in the refrigerator as we speak. He'll go into his brine bath on Wednesday.

I made a smaller batch of cranberry sauce. I kept this year's version pretty simple: 1 bag of cranberries, brown sugar, one lemon, one orange, and a generous splash of faux Grand Marnier. There's not really a recipe; I just kind of dump it all together, cook it until the berries burst, and then taste it to adjust the liqueur. Then I add my "secret" ingredient: 1 can of Ocean Spray Cranberry sauce! It makes the sauce thicker and mellows out the tartness of the citrus. In previous years, I made my sauce totally from scratch, but I've decided I'd rather put more effort in the turkey and the stuffing rather than the cranberry sauce.

I spent a lot of time looking for a recipe that I used last year for Eggnog Bread Pudding. I want to serve two desserts, pumpkin pie and something else. The bread pudding was a hit when I took it to a potluck last December and it can be made ahead of time, a big plus. I looked every where, including online, and finally found it buried in a folder of potential cookie recipes. And, it had all my notes about substitutions written on it. Yay! I made the eggnog bread last night and will put this together Wednesday night.

I still have a lot to do, and I'm working M-W this week. It's good we're not eating until 3pm!

And just so this is not a picture-less post, the last installment of the Petals Collection arrived today.

This is Magnolia. As with all of Sundara's colorways, it's gorgeous. And, well, pink. I am not a pink person; pink doesn't look that great on me; pink and I have a history (see Pink Nightmare). However, I'm sure I can find someone who will love this yarn, I just need to find the right pattern for it. The pattern, on the other hand, is right up my alley! I just love it! It's going ot be hard not casting on for this pair of socks!

Petals Collection - November

Magnolia is final installment of the Petals Collection club. I'm really sorry it's ending, but I now have a wonderful library of Sundara sock patterns and some gorgeous socks.

Posting this week will be kind of sporadic. I've got lots to do before Thursday!

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...