Monday, June 16, 2008

Monday again...

...the weekend goes so quickly!

Friday was an odd day. A huge smoke cloud moved in and made everything hazy. When I got home around 7:30pm, this is what it looked like:

Eerie Sunset

The sun was actually much redder than this, but the picture gives you an idea of what it looked like. Very strange.

I did make it to WWKIP at Purlescence finally around 2:30pm on Saturday. There were 5 or 6 of us outside; I think there were a few inside, but I didn't go in...I just knitted and chatted with the other people there. I worked on the sleeves for the Crossover Top, trying hard to finish them.

We took the Husband's parents out to dinner that night for a combination Father's Day and Birthday celebration. We went to Original Joe's in downtown San Jose. Boy, was it busy down there! I hardly recognize that area of town anymore. It's so different from when I went to San Jose State eons ago.

Sunday, I started a new baby quilt and quickly got bogged down. I bought a kit and it was not clear which fabric belonged to which part of the block. There was no picture of this version of the quilt. I was able to figure out the feature and border fabrics because there are large prints. However, of the remaining fabrics, I could only figure out one for sure simple because the pattern called for 1/3 yard for the background (the only one in the pattern) and there was only one 1/3 yard cut in the kit. After assigning the remaining fabrics so that the pink fabric is featured (it's for a girl), I started cutting...and cutting... The 48 2-inch squares did me in and I quit for the day. This is going to take a while.

After that I needed Sirena's soothing song, so I spun for a couple of hours. I'm still working on the Mermaid Falkland from Yarn Wench. I'm working on bobbin #2.

I did manage to finish the sleeves for the Crossover Top last night. I redid the shoulder seams as I wasn't happy with them. I have now started the front edging and hope to finish this sweater SOON. I am so ready for socks!

Since I have no finished knitting to show you, here's another picture where I've played with Picnik's photo effects. This is a picture of the deep pink azaleas in our parking lot at work. I applied the Holga-ish effect, using 20% fade to retain a small amount of the pink.

Azaleas a la Holga-ish

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie, I'm barely a quilter but maybe you already use a rotary cutter for cutting your multiples of quilt squares? If not, I'd give that way a go, it's easier and you can layer the fabrics and cut nice clean lines. Hope the quilt goes well! Terry

marie said...

I do have a rotary cutter and an Altos cutting system--and I used them for this quilt. I just got annoyed with the number of fussy little pieces I had to cut for a six square baby quilt after having to guess about which fabric to use for the different pieces!

(just call me cranky...)

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and things are blooming everywhere. Our front yard looks great: In the backyard, we have new petunias. Purple Night Sky: ...