Monday, August 11, 2008

Ravelympics report: two down...

...too many to go! My count is:
  • WIPs Wrestling: 3 entered; 1 done
  • Handspun Heptathlon: 6 (+1 alternate) entered; 1 done
  • Shawl Relay: 1 (+1 alternate) entered; 0 started (oops!)
First up, I finished the Plumthorn yarn:

Plumthorn Yarn

...and the close up:

Plumthorn yarn, close up

Specs:
Started on the spindle: 5/22/2008
Finished on the wheel: 8/9/2008
"Plumthorn" Wensleydale top from Pigeonroof Studios (gift from Terry)
Spun on spindle and wheel; plied on wheel
Yield: 440 yards, 2-ply
WIP: 16

I also finished one of my WIPs:

Foxglove Baby socks

Specs:
Finished 8/10/2008
Artyarns Supermerino in color 107
Pattern: Baby socks from Cat Bordhi's Foxglove class at Stitches West 2008
Needles: US 5
Originally, I intended on knitting the second sock to make a pair. However, when I looked at the completed sock, I wasn't happy with the size or how it looked, so I knit a complete pair.

Friday night, we went to downtown Redwood City to watch the opening ceremonies. As it turned out, we did not stay to watch the ceremonies because we couldn't get a good view of the screen. However, we did spend a couple of hours enjoying the live music that led up to the televised ceremonies. We split a pizza and some wine, and just enjoyed being outside in the pleasant weather.

On Saturday, we went to the Frida Kahlo exhibit—it was amazing to see her paintings in person. However, there were a lot of people, making the rooms very crowded and it was difficult to have a good look at her smaller works. I did get to spend time enjoying my two favorite paintings and the photographic exhibit. Next time we'll go during the week. After fighting the crush at the museum, it was nice to sit at the Thirsty Bear and enjoy the good food and excellent beer. I highly recommend this restaurant! The churros and hot chocolate dessert is to die for!

Sunday was spent working on the baby socks and starting another yarn. Rather than tackle another new-to-me wool (the Seawool in my queue), I decided to do one of the merino-silk tops I bought from Yarn Wench. I started spinning Plumcopper 2:

Plumcopper Merino-silk, bobbin 1

I like the contrast between the purples/pinks and the golds/brown. This is destined to be a 3-ply.

I'll be back on Wednesday with an update...

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...