Monday, August 04, 2008

well, that was an interesting weekend...

...some things went as planned and others didn't.

As planned, I finished the Midsummer Paradise socks. And they fit perfectly, see:

Midsummer Paradise socks


The pattern was easy and makes a great fabric. Sundara used a different type of toe (don't know what it's called) that doesn't require the Kitchener stitch. My only regret is that the subtle color changes in this yarn don't show off the stitch pattern very well; a multicolored yarn might. A closer picture:

Midsummer Paradise socks, close up

Specs:
Started: 6/16/08
Finished: 8/2/08
Blue Moon Fiber Arts, Socks That Rock Lightweight in Midsummers Night
Bird of Paradise sock pattern from the Petals Collection by Sundara Yarns
Needles: US 2 (2.75mm) on the cuffs and toes; US 2.5 (3mm) on the rest
Fits my size 9M foot
Modifications: Knit 5 inches of cuff instead of 6 inches

After finishing those socks, I was at a loss of what to do next. Most of the stuff I want to spin right now is marked for Ravelympics, as are a lot of my WIPs. Usually, I can easily move right on to the next project with hardly a break. This time I couldn't—it was very unsettling! I pulled out my spindle and did a little more on the Plumthorn yarn while I figured out what to do.

I decided to frog the Montego Bay wrap and start it again. I had found an error in my knitting around row 4 that messed up the pattern and needed to get it back on track. I'm knitting this in a Rockin' Sock Club yarn from last year, Walking on the Wild Tide. This poor yarn had been frogged so many times...I had tried a few times to do the toe-up sock from the club and tried a different shawl pattern. I finally settled on the Montego Bay pattern and now I had to frog it again. This is one reason this WIP is not in the Ravelympics; it may never get done!

As I was knitting away Saturday evening, I kept heard what sounded like cats growling. Since it wasn't very loud, I figured it was across the street or something. It went on for a few minutes, so I decided to see if our cats were in the back yard. [Side bar: Now I don't want you to think that I let my cats out to wander the neighborhood. Our cats are inside cats for the most part, but they do go out in the back yard. Our backyard has 8-foot walls on all sides and we block the openings around the gate with chicken wire and grates to prevent escape. I've only ever had one cat that was agile (and smart) enough to leap 8 feet and get out of the yard. The cats I have right now can't manage it.] They were both in the yard...Sombra had cornered a kitten behind the tomato plants and Tica was standing guard. The kitten was small enough to slip though an opening by the gate and was hiding when our cats found it.

I got our cats inside and had the Husband help me catch the kitten. It was scared out of its mind, but once I got its paws controlled, it calmed a little. However, when the Husband brought out a cat carrier and I went to put the kitten inside, it freaked out and bit me. After a little first aid for me, we put food and water in the carrier and left the kitten alone for a while. It ate everything (poor starving little thing). That night I put the carrier in my sewing room and closed the door to keep our cats from bugging the kitten.

Sunday morning after a little research on the Internet and a lot of discussion, we decided that the best thing was to take the kitten to the Animal Shelter. We already have 3 cats and one has to live in a separate room from the other two so she won't get beat up. If we kept the
kitten, it would have to be in a separate room for a while, and we just don't have any extra rooms for another cat. It was a big unknown...was it just scared, or was it feral? Could it be socialized? Since you have to report any animal bite that draws blood, it would be better to have the kitten at the shelter under observation. We hated to do it, but I know my cats...they would continue to worry the kitten and not give it any peace. Not good for the kitten who was already scared. I'm hoping for the best...

After we dropped off the kitten, the Husband distracted me by taking me shopping for a new bike. Riding the Daughter's bike has been OK, but it's just too big. We took advantage of a sale and got a basic riding-around-town bike with a rack on the back wheel. It's 4 inches smaller than the Daughter's bike and is very comfortable. No pictures yet, but soon!

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...