Monday, July 12, 2010

missed Eye Candy Friday...

...no Internet connection at Mom's and all the wireless networks in the neighborhood were secure. It's just to big a pain to do a blog post from the iPhone, so I just didn't bother!

We had a good time celebrating Mom's birthday. She decided to celebrate with 2 cakes and 3 kinds of ice cream... we all pretty much OD'd on sugar! One cake was lemon with white chocolate curls on top and the other was a carrot cake. Both cakes had almond-meringue crusts (!?) on the bottom, making them way sweeter and crunchy than any cake I've ever had. Frankly, I don't see the need for the crust...they really didn't add anything to the cakes.  I took pictures of the cakes, but they are on my computer at home. I'll post them when I get a chance.

Here is one picture from the trip:

Late afternoon, Santa Maria CA

This was Saturday. The clouds started building up in the afternoon and my nightfall, it was completely overcast. During the night there were thunderstorms.

This was my first trip by myself in the Honda Fit. The Husband drove to Tahoe, so I couldn't tell how well it handled hills. I was pleasantly surprised how well it did and the gas mileage was good. I got 37.3 MPG both directions.

I managed to spin every day to keep up with Tour de Fleece. I have now finished spinning the singles for the Sea Scape yarn and the singles for the purple Merino-Silk. They are resting before I ply them. Next, I think I'll spin the Beach Foam batts from Lisa Souza. I'm going to use my fast flyer to spin these. I'm a little scared, but it's my challenge goal to use the fast flyer, so...

I also got a little knitting done. I'm almost finished with the second row of hexagons for the Hexagon socks. This is a perfect project top work on when you're watching TV or chatting with someone. I love that sense of accomplishment when you finish a hexagon and see the row taking shape!

This is a short week for me. I'm taking Thursday and Friday off. Thursday's eye appointment will eat up most of the day, but I'm looking forward to a craft day on Friday!
   

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...