Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ummmm, it's Tuesday...

...Monday just kind of whizzed by. I had a work project due yesterday and that required all of my concentration to get it done.  But it's out for review now and I can breathe a little.

My weekend report: It was mostly quilting with a little knitting thrown in.

I finished machine quilting Flower Power and added the binding. I am now burying all of the loose threads.  I discovered that taking care of the  loose threads as I go along really slowed down the process. Since I only do simple grid quilting on the Yellow Brick Road quilts, it's much faster for me to leave the tails dangling a bit and finish the machine quilting. I pull the top thread to the back of the quilt, trim both threads to 4 or 5 inches, and move on to the next part to quilt. I manage not to quilt over the loose thread about 95% of the time, so it works for me!  I need to add the ties to the quilt cover and find a quilt scrap to use for the label. Once the label is sewn on, I can declare it done. Only 6 years in the making! LOL!

I worked a little on the Rockin' Sock Club socks [Ravelry], but didn't touch the Mochabarry Brambles socks [Ravelry]. I really wasn't into  knitting, weaving, or spinning most of the time.

When I wasn't quilting, I was reading. I'm trying hard not to buy new books because I think I've killed enough trees for a while.  I'm borrowing books from a friend, which is introducing me to a bunch of new authors.  I'm reading lots of books about shifters, vampires, demons, and witches. Some are better than others, but since I'm only borrowing the books, I can afford it! If only I wasn't such a fast reader.

I've asked for an iPad for my birthday so I can download books to read. It will cut down on the number of books lying around the house and let me get a new book to read much more quickly. Plus, it's way cool! LOL!

This arrived Friday:

Loppy Ewe 4th Anniversary Kit

I ordered the Loopy Ewe 4th Anniversary Kit. The yarn is  Smooshy with Cashmere by Dream In Color and the color is .Joy in the Morning. The pattern is Argonauta Socks by Debbie O'Neill. And the cool Loopy Ewe tumbler is by Mary Hadley Pottery.  (Loopy is on the reverse side of the tumbler...I need to take a picture of that.)  Love the color of the yarn! It matches the teal quilt that I have in progress.  (BTW, that's the back of the Flower Power quilt behind the tumbler.)

Oh, and the Reflection Shawl is now in its new home in Portland, Ore. The Daughter gave it to a family friend who appreciated its charms and will take good care of it. Yay!
 

3 comments:

Tami Winbush said...

Only my 2cents worth here. I accidentally stumbled across your post here from a search that google runs for me.

If you read so fast, you should get kindle for PC, iPhone, Mac, or Android. (Whichever you happen to have!) Daily you can find FREE (cause I am so darn cheap) books. And if you want, you can email me and I would be happy to put you on the list of those I send the free books to when I find them.

marie said...

Tami--
Thanks for your comment!

I have the Kindle app for my iPhone and it works great. I have found a few free books that match my rather eclectic tastes. (I'm really into shifters, vampires, demons, and witches right now...) For the most part, though, I've been reading newly published books by my favorite authors, which are hardly ever free!

Can't wait to get my iPad!

Just Jane said...

I love the pattern of the blue socks!! Very Nice!! Before you make a "final" decision on the ipad, check out the nook, it's also made by apple...and it's size might be something to consider...if you wanna stick it in your purse, the nook would be better, the internet connection for sure isn't much, but that's not an issue with me, VERY EASY to operate.......as for the prices of the new released books, normally the ebooks are about $7-$10 range, some a bit more...but always cheaper than buying the book outright. Just take a look, when I checked out the ipad, after you mentioned it, I didn't think I would have wanted it cause its so much bigger......worth a look, but perhaps you've already done so...I LOVE the size, weight, and ease...I've hardly done a thing since I got it!!

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...