Friday, July 22, 2011

Tour de Fleece, days 19, 20, & 21 + Eye Candy Friday...

...it's been a long, but productive week. I'll do Tour de Fleece first, and then Eye Candy.

Tour de Fleece days 19, 20 & 21: I had very little time to spin over the last 3 days. I managed to spin Silver Lake for an hour on Tuesday, 45 minutes on Wednesday, and about 30 minutes last night. The why of it follows with some sort-of Eye Candy..

The commissioned quilt I've been working on for so long hit the home stretch on Tuesday, I sewed the label on and did some final thread snipping. On Wednesday, I pressed it, took a lint brush to it, and wrapped it for delivery.

The quilt is the retirement gift we gave to our boss and friend last night at a dinner in her honor. Yes, another stealth project. Here are the preliminary pictures we took last night. I am going to arrange to borrow the quilt for a "real" photo session as soon as I can. Anyway, here's the front:

Rhapsody in Blue and Purple quilt


This is a rail fence quilt, with a narrow white-on-white border, and a wider blue border. Her is the back that was such a challenge:

Rhapsody in Blue and Purple quilt, the back

The challenge was the 62 signature strips that make up the white border on the back. I'm sorry you can't see them in these pictures, but believe me they are there! The biggest challenge was aligning the front and the back so they were straight and then not quilting through the signatures when I couldn't see where they were. So there are some non-traditional stops and starts on the quilting, but the signatures have been preserved!

She loved the quilt and the colors, so it was a perfect gift!

Because it wouldn't be an Eye Candy Friday without a garden picture, here's a dahlia that's growing in our backyard:

Dahlia


There are more eye candy pictures in my Flickr stream.

Up this weekend: Sleep? That would be nice. Also, for the final days of Tour de Fleece, I'd like to finish Silver Lake. I don't know if I'll make it, but I'll give it a good try! After that, who knows!
.

1 comment:

Bogie said...

What a beautiful quilt! The back sounds like it was a real challenge, but if anyone could do it (and on time) you could. Congratulations!

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...