Tuesday, May 29, 2012

another random Tuesday...

...because my life is rather random right now. Fortunately, work is not random and I'm busy with that.
  1. Spin-In: I missed it this month. My out-of-town friend was busy in Saturday, so it looked like I might be able to go. However, the Husband and I were working on the studio, moving in some furniture (yes!) and other odds and ends. Rather than stop progress, I decided to stay and continue to work on things at home.
     
  2. Crafts: I haven't worked on anything in days...
     
  3. Yoga class: It was another great class. I feel a bit sore today, but that's just the core work she included. It's kind of cool when you take a step back and look at your kid the way others must see her. She is a wonderful instructor, a very calm and reassuring in a class situation.
     
  4. Meeting my friend: K and I finally connected Sunday night. I took some projects with me for Show-and-Tell. She showed some pictures of her latest projects. We had a great dinner and really enjoyed catching up! She plans to be back in the area during the summer and we'll get together again. Maybe my studio will be done by then!
     
  5. Studio:  We had a set-back with the floor. The adhesive recommended by the manufacturer is just not doing the job. Many of the corners are popping up. The alternate adhesive recommended by my contractor brother-in-law isn't doing much better. The Husband is now doing the painstaking job of caulking the tiles that are popping up and placing heavy weights on them for 24 hours. He can only do 9 or 10 at a time, so it's a slow process. I know he's frustrated and is so ready for this floor to be complete!

    What that means to me is that other than the armoire and my Quilter's Dream sewing table, I can't move in any of the furniture. I was able to move in the containers with my cross stitch supplies because they fit in the alcove on the wire shelves. However, all the books, yarn, spinning fiber, and soap supplies (not to mention the fabric) are still in various stacks and boxes around the house.

    On the good news front, we did get a new track light to replace the broken one that is in the center of the room. We decided to connect an 8-ft track and a 4-ft track so I can point some lights towards my quilt wall. The track lights run along the beams so I must be careful to pick fixtures that a tall person won't run into...being 5'3", I don't have that problem!
     
  6. The purging continues:
    • I went through all of my quilting, knitting, and stitching books, most of which are hard-bound books. I'm getting rid of about a third of them. I'll cycle some through my knitting and quilting friends before donating them to the library. 
    • I also went through my knitting magazines. I have several years worth of Vogue Knitting that I never look at so they need to go, too.
    • I reformatted about 100 floppy and zip disks that I couldn't erase. I have a few more zip disks to go and then I can make a recycle run. I have about 15 music CDs I need to load on my computer and then they can go to the donation stack.
    • I went through the linen closet and purged there, too! We have a lot of extra towels, random bed sheets and pillowcases, and lots of cloth table napkins and tablecloths from when we used to entertain the entire family during the holidays--I think Goodwill is getting something like 30 table napkins.

      I refolded everything. Things are a lot neater now!
 It feels good to do all this purging and reorganization, but right now it seems like it's a bottomless pit! It doesn't look like I've made any progress because I can't move things into the studio (see item #5 above).

Patience is a virtue, right?
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...