Tuesday, May 08, 2012

living in chaos right now...

...we have stuff everywhere. The Husband has moved the majority of the items out of my soon-to-be studio and into the courtyard, the house, and the backyard. He has scraped the old vinyl tiles in the resulting open area. He's been cleaning (and cleaning) old adhesive off of the cement in preparation for the new tiles.

One task last weekend was to buy the floor tiles. He discovered that the vinyl tiles we wanted are being discontinued and the two local Lowe's stores did not have enough stock to cover our floors. Rats! He found enough at the San Bruno store (40 minutes away), so we made a quick trip to buy them. We bought a few extra just in case!

He did another coat of paint on the walls and they look great! Here is a first look at the colors (the stuff you see through the window will eventually get put away...somewhere.

Studio color

You can also see a a few floor tiles that we were using to determine where we wanted the partial tiles to occur.

My job for the next few days (weeks?) is to go through the items that we took out of the room and figure out what's going to Goodwill or some other charity, what can be recycled, and what is just trash. I've already gone through the video tapes and they have been placed on Freecycle. We toyed with the idea of a garage sale, but neither one of us wants the hassle of running one. We had too many years of running the High School Flea Market—the thought of setting up a garage sale makes me shudder.

I finally finished the Great Fabric Refolding project. Final tally on the comic book boards used: all 400. (And I could have used a few more!) I have a garbage bag full of fabric to donate...at least 50 yards, many in 3 to 4 yard pieces. A friend suggested donating it to her church, which runs a huge rummage sale. What the church doesn't sell is donated elsewhere. I can also give them any cookbooks that I want to purge. That works for me!

Now that I'm done with the fabric, I need to go through the cookbooks and my craft books. I have a lot of quilting books that I will never use. I'll offer those to my quilting friends first. Whatever is left over will go to my friend's church.

This is a huge job, but in the end we'll have a real guest room, the Husband will have an office, and we will have a lot less clutter. And I will have a wonderful studio!
.

1 comment:

Elf said...

Looks nice so far! I always waffle about a garage sale--I often make $50-100 after a day's preparation and a day sitting out in the front yard not being able to do something else. It does seem silly. Unless I do a major purge of many larger items, it's hard to justify. But every few years I trick myself into doing one again. I think you're wise not to. :-)

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...