Monday, July 02, 2012

Happy July...

...and happy Tour de Fleece!  First up, the weekend report.

On Saturday, I redid my quilt wall. It was fine in my old room when there was a bookcase on one side and a door on the other. In the studio. the edges of the wall are quite evident and every imperfection shows. I took it down, cleaned up the edges and squared up the corners (well as much as I could considering that the batting tends to stretch when you don't want it to!)

I made a quick trip to Michael's for some white grosgrain ribbon. After I tacked up the batting as level as I could get it, I added the ribbon as an edging using a level to help keeps things straight. A few hours (yes, hours) later, I declared it done. It's not perfect, but I can live with it. I think the ribbon edging adds a nice touch. (you can see it in one of the pictures below.

We also installed the drapery rod and hung the curtains. It's a new rod and brackets, but we were able to reuse the old screw holes. The curtains are a little shorter than I wanted, but the next size up was 11 inches longer...too long for this set-up. I really hate curtains that drag. They do completely cover the glass, so that's the most important thing.

On Sunday, the Husband and I took a trip to the local consignment store to look at chairs. I've been pricing new chairs on-line and all the really nice ones were $400+...a lot more than I wanted to spend. The consignment store had many chairs to try out and we narrowed it down to 3: a mission-style chair that would need new cushions at $149, a side chair in a leaf pattern that was a nice size at $349, and an orangey microfiber swivel chair for $249. They all had arms, which is a required feature for me, and they were all in good condition. Here's the chair that we picked:

Studio chair

Now, if you know me, you know that earth tones are not my favorite colors, orange being my least favorite. (It comes from many years of living with a burnt-orange shag carpet in my house that my ex chose...70s much?) However, this chair is in great condition, with only a little bit of wear on one of the arms. It is a Crate and Barrel chair and it swivels, but not too much. It was an excellent price, and it is comfortable. Score! Here's another look:

Front view of my spinning set-up

This shot also has a view of the quilt wall behind me. I'm using the baskets as a temporary side table. I really need to do something about the combination of colors in this room to make them more cohesive. Right now, I'm more interested in getting everything in its place!

I did some work on the TV and cable box setup so I can watch movies while I spin or craft in the chair and still be able to watch movies while I quilt on the opposite side of the room. Let's just say I re-purposed a cutting map swivel table. I'm still working on the setup, so I'm not ready to show you yet.

On to the Tour de Fleece.

I did a major stash dive Friday night to find the yak sampler fibers and a bunch of other unusual fiber to spin for the Tour. I also set aside the fiber I will spin for the Ravellenic Games later n the month. I'm a member of Team True Blood for the Ravellenic Games, so I chose 7 fibers with colors that reminded me of these True Blood characters: Sookie, Pam, Jessica, Bill, Eric, Sam, and Lafayette.

Day 1 of Tour de Fleece: I spun 1 ounce of a yak-merino blend from a 3-ounce Yak Survey sampler by Tactile A Fiber Arts Studio.

Yak-Merino singles

Day 2 of Tour de Fleece: I chain-plied the yak-merino blend and got about 39 yards. It's probably worsted weight, but I haven't checked it yet.  I also spun 1 ounce of a yak-silk blend.  I'll ply that tonight and start on the 1 ounce natural brown yak top that was in the sampler.

Yak-Silk singles and Yak-Merino handspun

Whew! It was a busy weekend!
.

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and things are blooming everywhere. Our front yard looks great: In the backyard, we have new petunias. Purple Night Sky: ...