Friday, May 24, 2013

Eye Candy Friday before the long weekend...

...brought to you by the color Maroon.

A maroon dahlia:

First dahlia of the season

and a close up:

Dahlia center

Our first blackberry harvest of the season (they have some maroon in them):

First blackberry harvest 2013

and a single berry:

Single Blackberry

Up this weekend: It's a 3-day weekend! Yay!  I'm hoping for a better weekend than last (read: less family issues). Keep your fingers crossed for me!

The number one item on my list is to warp my loom for the bridal shower gift I'm making for a friend. I now have all of the yarn and an idea of what I want to do. I'm looking forward to weaving something again!

As for the rest, I want to audition a couple of dishes that I want to make for my in-laws' 60th anniversary party next month. We're keeping the party simple, but I think a couple of special dishes would be nice.

I want to serve a flavorful gazpacho, garnished with a few small shrimp, in individual cups. It gets pretty hot at their house in the summer, and a chilled soup would be refreshing. I'll have Tabasco sauce on the side for anyone who wants to spice it up.

I also want to try a variation of stuffed cherry tomatoes. years ago, I used to make cherry tomatoes stuffed with Gorgonzola mousse. They were yummy, but not everyone enjoys Gorgonzola. I also used to stuff them with salmon mousse, but it was always iffy because I hate fish and I couldn't taste them to make sure they were OK.  I found a recipe on Pinterest for Avocado Pesto-Stuffed Tomatoes that looks pretty good.

Then of course, there are all the projects I have in the pipeline. Even after knitting the Celestarium shawl, I'm still getting tons of enjoyment out of knitting its companion, Southern Skies. I'm [this.close] to a new name for the shawl. It won't be nearly as punny as the last one, but it makes me smile.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to the extra day off!  Enjoy your weekend!
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...