Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top-of-the-Waves Tuesday...

...it's been a busy few days, but good ones!

Saturday was Spin-In and I tried out a new chocolate cookie recipe. I've been craving chocolate for a while, and these cookies sounded good.  I found the recipe on Pinterest, which can sometimes be tricky. Thankfully, this recipe worked out even though I didn't do everything exactly.  You see, the recipe makes 12 giant cookies. I didn't want giant cookies...I wanted something more like 24. I read some of the comments from people who tried the recipe, but made smaller cookies. So I went for it.

I decided to make one batch of dough. The recipe called for 2-1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips (yes, that's a lot of chocolate chips). I wanted nuts in my cookies, so I cut the chips down to a scant 2 cups and added 1 cup of chopped, salted almonds. I divided the dough into 12 pieces just to see how big the original size would be. Holy Cookie, Batman! Those puppies were huge! The author really did mean giant!  Then I divided the 12 into 24. Still too big.  I ended up just eyeballing it and managed to get about 40 cookies out of the batch.

I think they turned out pretty good:

Dark Chocolate cookies

The recipe is here: http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/01/14/giant-double-chocolate-cookies/

Sunday, we met the Daughter at Stanford University (where she did her undergrad degrees) to walk the Dish trail. It had been several years since the last time I walked it and I had forgotten how hilly the trail was!  Needless to say, my leg muscles are complaining about how I abused them!

It was a hot day and visibility was pretty good. I took a few pictures. The Dish:

The Dish at Stanford

San Francisco:

San Francisco in the distance

Moffett Field:

Moffett Field, from the dish trail

and Hoover Tower at Stanford University.

Hoover Tower at Stanford

We had a nice lunch afterwards and I went home to collapse enjoy the rest of Mother's Day in my studio.

I finished spinning the Pilgrim yarn:

Pilgrim handspun

and a close up:

Pilgrim handspun, close-up

Specs:
Started: 2/19/2011;
Finished 5/11/13
Merino-Tussah Silk 4 oz. from A Verb for Keeping Warm
325.7yds, 17 WPI

And I made a little progress on the Royale handspun.  Tomorrow I'll try to post a picture of the new yarn I started spinning at Spin-In.
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...