Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Top-of-the-waves Tuesday...

...the weekend was very scattered as the Husband was dealing with some family issues. Lots of phone calls and interrupts.

I made the most of my time by doing things like the laundry and grocery shopping. Sunday dinner was simple, a chili made in the crock pot and some cornbread. Neither of us felt much like doing anything complicated.

I did manage to finish the Royale handspun finally. Here it is:

Royale handspun

and the close up:

Royale handspun, close up

Specs:
Started: 4/30/11;
Finished: 5/18/13;
60% Merino, 20% Yak, 20% silk top (2 oz) from A Verb For Keeping Warm;
Started on a spindle and finished on the wheel.
169.4 yds chain-ply, 18 WPI

I also plied the last Spin-In sampler singles, but I'm not very happy with the way it plied. Oh well...it will only make up a small part of the weaving I am planning.

I worked on the Anasazi needlepoint and finally finished a section that used Rachel, a tubular nylon thread from Caron Collection. It is a pain in the neck to stitch because it unravels so easily and it catches on the slightest rough edge (like the stretcher bars or the canvas' edge threads). It's right up there with Neon Rays (Rainbow Gallery) as my least favorite threads to stitch with. Glad I'm done with it for now.

I briefly debated whether to start knitting the Southern Skies shawl [Ravelry]. While I was deciding, I sewed a larger project bag to use for the it.  I picked a couple of celestial fabrics from my stash and whipped it together Sunday afternoon. No picture yet.

After I finished the bag, I went online to learn about the Emily Ocker cast-on. I wasted to use a different cast-on for the shawl that didn't poof as much in the center. After about 10 attempts, I was finally happy with the cast-on and started knitting the shawl. So far, so good!  I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Happiness is knitting stars again!
.



No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...