Friday, August 23, 2013

just another Eye Candy Friday...

...so ready for the weekend! So let's play a little Eye Candy Catch-up, shall we?

The reunion last Saturday was held at my Aunt Margaret's home in Hollister. Her home is on a corer and her yard is pretty big. She has a large garden of cacti and succulents, some of which are fairly old.

Not sure what this plant is, but it attracted a lot of bees:

Bee in the garden

The cactus flowers were very interesting with the random green sprouts:

Another cactus flower view

Some of the barrel cacti were huge and alien-like:

Barrel Cactus center

with cool ridges.

Ribs of a barrel cactus

On Monday night, there were spectacular cloud formations and a nearly full moon. Here is a picture of the moonrise:

Moonrise 8/19/13

That night we had a huge storm....lots of thunder, lightning, and heavy rain.

Up this weekend: I need to work on the baby quilt and get it as close to done as possible. One of the issues I'm having is that some of the squares contain a random scattering of animals, making outline quilting difficult and time-consuming. Since I don't do free-motion quilting very well and this is a gift, I really don't want to do it here. I'm going to explore some of my built-in embroidery stitches and see if I can find a suitable one to use.

 I want to finish the rounds on the Southern Skies shawl. I'm an doing the edging set-up rounds now and have 3 more to do. Then, it's hurry up and wait for the amethyst magatama drop beads (like these only darker) that I ordered to use on the tips of the edging. They are supposed to arrive next week.  I can't start the edging until then.

It's not like I don't have anything else to work on. ;)
.

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...