Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Tour de Fleece 2014 recap...

...and a little update.

As I faced the last two days of the Tour, I decided to finish one more handspun. I knew that finishing Toulouse was not an option as I am spinning it very thin and it would take many hours to get to the plying stage.

Using the Tropical Fish 1 colorway, I made an art yarn. I split the bump into four strips and spun a thick-and-thin single. I plied the single with a teal rayon thread, and let a gold rayon thread autowrap it. It was a fun spin! Here is Tropical Fish Bulky:

Tropical Fish bulky handspun

and the close up:

Tropical Fish bulky handspun, close up

Specs:
Started and finished 7/26/14;
Merino-silk (3.8 oz) from the Yarn Wench;
120.9 yds; bulky

After I finished the art yarn, I decided that my final Tour spinning would be to transfer Toulouse from the spindle to the wheel. This involved winding the single onto a temporary holder and then quickly loading it to a bobbin on the wheel. Once I successfully transferred the single, I spun a bit more to make sure I could match the very thin single. And that was the end of my Tour spinning!

My final tally for the Tour: 6 handspun yarns. Of the 6, one was a 2-ply, four were chain-plied, and one was an art yarn. This represents a total of 1,242.6 yards.

Tour de Fleece 2014

Left to right: Bejeweled, Plum Honey Light, Ember, Cinder, Renewal, and Tropical Fish. Toulouse is in progress on the spindle. All fiber is merino-silk from the Yarn Wench.

I spent the rest of my Sunday working on my latest quilt. I've made some progress and hope to have a photo for tomorrow's post.
.

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...