Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The weekend report

...where we talk about how I spent the weekend playing with the loom. (I know...big surprise!)

My Baby Wolf stroller (wheel assembly) arrived on Friday, so the first thing I did was install it. It only took me 2+ hours to do that, not because it was difficult or complicated, but because the Husband was out all morning and I had to go searching for tools.  The Schacht video on how to install it was very clear on which tools were needed as was the list of needed tools in the printed instructions.

I had to find something that would work as well as the 2-inch wooden block they suggest you use. I found a couple of 2-inch bricks that I wrapped in paper to protect the loom from scratches. I found all of the other suggested tools and got started.

Inserting the first bolt was fiddly, but all of my experience of putting Danish furniture together came in handy here. Inserting the second bolt was a PITA.

What they don't tell you #1:
When the directions tell you to "tap" the carriage bolt to attach the top of the caster block to the loom, you need to make sure that the carriage bolt is well-seated in the wood. If it isn't, the bolt spins when you try to tighten the lock nut on it.

Not exactly a "tap" needed here.
So, the mallet didn't work and I had to find a hammer and a block of wood to protect the loom. Since I didn't find a block of wood for the previous step, the chances of finding one for this process was slim. Enter a spare stretcher bar. Hooray!

I finally got the second bolt seated and did the other three casters. Since I knew what I was doing, they went a lot faster.  The next step was to install the metal support bolts and bars that would hold the loom closed when folded...more bolts and lock nuts, but no tapping this time. Right.

What they don't tell you #2:
While the bolt slides easily into the hole in the caster, the bolt kept spinning when I tried to attach the locking nut.

Off I went to search for something to hold the bolt end so I could tighten the nut. I managed to unearth a small crescent wrench that I used to hold the bolt.
When I finally had it all installed, I took a long break! After my break, I was ready to finish dressing the loom. All I had left to do was sley the reed and tie it to the front apron rod. It was easy, but time-consuming. By the time I finished, I was done for the day.

On Sunday, I was ready to weave. I started by doing the tie-up I needed for plain weave and for the 2x2 twill I intended to weave. That was easy! I wound some bobbins with the weft yarn and I was ready to go.

The first thing I wove was some plain weave so I could get the feel of treadling and the loom. I tried heavy beating and light beating to see the differences. Then I started the twill...what do you know, it almost looks like it's supposed to, see:

First project on Baby Wolf loom

I didn't get very far because my area set-up isn't quite right. The storage bench sort-of works as seating, but it's not very comfortable and I'm constantly sliding forward. Also, I have no place to put my shuttle.

It looks like it's time to order a weaving bench and the wolf trap!

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

...and I'm looking forward to the weekend! This week we harvested plums from one of our trees: Corncockles have sprouted up all o...