Wednesday, June 13, 2018

WIP-it Wednesday...

...in which we have no photos of WIPs, but I have a photo of the Mirabel sample.

As I mentioned yesterday, our spinning team entered the California State Fair and got second place in our division/category.  Each team member spun the same colorway (Mirabel, a merino-silk fiber from Lisa Souza Dyeworks) and then created a sample of their handspun. It was spinners choice for both the handspun and the sample. Each team member submitted approximately 2 ounces of handspun and a sample.

I spun the singles on a Spindlewood square spindle and chain-plied it on my wheel. I decided to spin the entire 4 ounces to give myself options for which two ounces to submit and to have enough for the sample. Originally, I wanted to weave a sample, but my handspun was too thin to use on my little loom - too many wide gaps and it would take too long to get a good sample. Instead, I used the lace pattern from the Charred Teal Shawl [Ravelry] that is a current WIP.

It took me 3 attempts to get a decent-looking sample:

Mirabel lace sample

As it turned out, having to do a few iterations of the sample helped me with the shawl pattern. I can read this lace pattern much easier now!

WIPs Roll Call

Worked On:

  • Hawaii handspun (spinning) [Ravelry]
    Spun approximately 1 ounce of the 4 in the bump
  • Apricot Orchid 1 (spinning) [Ravelry]
    Started on 6/10/18
  • Mermaids (cross stitch)
    Laced Mermaid of the Pearls on foam core.
    Kitted Renaissance Mermaid
Works In Progress, Did Not Work On This Week:
  1. 4-shaft sampler (weaving) [Ravelry]
  2. Attic Windows quilt for me (quilting)
  3. Charred Teal Shawl (knitting) [Ravelry
  4. Finishing work (Shepherd's Bush Christmas ornament.)
  5. Mother of Dragons shawl (knitting) [Ravelry]
  6. Rosewood Wrap (weaving) [Ravelry]
  7. St. Charles (needlepoint) 
  8. Valley of the Heart's Delight sampler design (cross stitch)
UFOs/Hibernation:
  1. Be My Baby for My Baby (knitting) [Ravelry]
  2. Bear Paw pottery (needlepoint)
  3. Canto de Sirena shawl (knitting) [Ravelry]
  4. Peacock Majesty by Just Nan (cross stitch)
  5. Tucson Twilight (needlepoint)

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...