Friday, October 12, 2018

Eye Candy Friday...

...and my weekend starts in a couple of hours. Yay!

Other than the finished objects I posted earlier in the week, I haven't taken any garden or sky photos this week. I did take photos of a long-completed project that I am getting ready to mail to my sister-in-law.

I started cross stitching in 1981. I started with cross stitch kits that came package with Aida fabric, as many beginners do. My first project was a baby bib for a newborn niece. I branched out to pattern books and choosing my own supplies soon after, still using Aida fabric.

I finally took the plunge and tried a linen project in 1992. I wanted to make a special birthday gift for my mother-in-law to celebrate her Irish heritage. I found the perfect sampler chart for it.

This is the Irish Blessings sampler - my first linen project and my first over-one-thread project.

Irish Blessings Sampler

and a closer look:

Irish Blessings Sampler, detail

Specs:
Started 01/1992
Completed 06/1992
Chart: Very Victorian Shamrock Sampler by Sampler House
32-count linen; DMC floss and perle cotton as specified; left off the bow.
Matted and framed by me.
For Louise Novicki (Sr.) - birthday gift

At the time, it was a very challenging project for me. I had very little experience working on linen. Now, I can't imagine doing this type of project on anything but linen!

I have completed 130+ cross stitch projects, bibs, ornaments, smalls, samplers, and afghans (so far). This sampler still ranks as one of my favorite projects ever.
.

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...sky-style. Mom's house has a great view out of the back yard. It is not unusual to see a layer of fog in the morning. Headin...