Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Top-of-the-Waves Tuesday...

...and the weekend report.

I have missed the last two Pacific International Quilt Festivals because we were on vacation. I've been going to the festival for many years, so I sort of missed going (but not enough to reschedule our vacation!). With me only working half days on Fridays, it seemed like a good idea to go to the festival on Friday instead of fighting the crowds and traffic on Saturday or Sunday.

Good choice! Traffic was reasonable in both directions and I was able to find parking without a problem. My main reason for going was to see the quilts. There were many wonderful quilts and I took photos of several. I'm busy processing the photos and uploading them to Flickr in my PIQF 2018 album.

My friend Randa entered a quilt that got 3rd place for Visual Impact in the New Quilts of Northern California category. It's pretty cool:

Samba Selfie quilt

Many ocean-themed quilts and ecological-themed quilts caught my eye, including "Water is Life, So Why Are We Doing This":

Water is Life, So Why are We Doing This quilt

My secondary goal was to see whether there were any novelty fabrics that caught my eye. I was looking for fabric with Christmas stockings on it. All I've seen so far is fabric panels that you use to make a Christmas stocking - not what I wanted. I did find a cute fabric with stockings themed around dogs and cats. I think it will work.

Saturday was Spin-In and I baked gingerbread cookies to take. I started one of the Fibers that I purchased at this year's Stitches West. It's a nice change because the colors are blended rather than being space-dyed. I don't need to worry about where colors start and stop and how it will ply.

Everything was going well through the evening until the flexible water line burst off of the toilet in the master bathroom. We went to turn off the water to the toilet and discovered that the valve handle had disintegrated. By the time we turned off the water to the house, we had at least half an inch of water on the bathroom floor. Ack! Of course, Home Depot was closed by then, so we had no water until the morning.

I'm thankful that the Husband knows how to fix things. First thing on Sunday, he bought a new shut-off valve and installed it in the bathroom so we could turn the water back on. Then we went to Home Depot together to buy a new toilet. The old one was problematic and we decided that a new one was in order.  While I was at the grocery store, he got everything ready to seat the toilet and I helped him lift it into place. He finished the install and we're in business again.

So not how we wanted to spend Sunday!
.

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...