Wednesday, December 05, 2018

WIP-it Wednesday...

...it's December, so you know my main WIP is baking!

I've mentioned before that this is the last year of my cookie baking marathon at Christmas time. Since it's the last one, I thought I'd document some of my process. Who knows...you might want to do your own marathon! While my processes work for me, they might give you an idea of how to modify them for your own use.

First up: how I organize my recipes and track what I'm making.

Organization is key.

When I started in 1986, I used a calendar to identify what I wanted to bake and when.  I started tracking what I was making from the beginning, but I didn't always note how many I actually baked per recipe. The calendar evolved into a spreadsheet when I realized that I was going to devote my month to baking and the only date that mattered was 12/24! And I got a lot better at noting how many I made.

I used to bake one cookie per day, mostly because I only had a couple of cookie sheets and I needed to wash them in between. Now I have multiple cookie sheets (17 at last count) and cooling racks, and devote 3 weekends to the entire baking process to produce many more cookies than before.

I used to print copies of spreadsheet and mark them up as I finished things up. I'd also print fresh copies of the recipes and mark them with any changes. I finally realized that I wasn't changing the recipes any more, so I printed them on card stock and laminated them.

Before baking season starts, I peruse cookie and baking magazines to see whether there are any fresh decorating ideas or recipes I want to cycle in. I print the new recipes and sort through the laminated recipes to come up with a set of what I want to bake. Then I organize them in envelopes.

A peek at how I track my Christmas baking

  • I mark a new envelope with the current year. I'll track cookies on the left and other items on the right.
  • Receipts: I put all receipts for ingredients and packaging in this envelope.
  • To Do: Holds the recipes that I plan on making.
  • In Process: Holds recipes that are partially done, like ice box cookies that are chilling or cookies that need decorating.
  • Maybe: Holds recipes that I might make if I have enough time.
When a recipe is complete, I put it in the envelope marked with the year. At the end of the baking marathon, I remove all of the recipes from the year envelope and move the receipts into this envelope. I update all of my spreadsheets and file printouts and the year envelope in a binder.

It takes more words to explain things that it does to handle them!

WIPs Roll Call

Worked On:

  • Charred Teal Shawl (knitting) [Ravelry]
    Three-quarters of the way through section 4.
In the Queue
  • Renaissance Mermaid (cross stitch)
  • Sand and Sea quilt for MIL (quilting)
  • Shimmering Advancing Point Twill Wrap (weaving)
Works In Progress, Did Not Work On This Week:
  1. Baroque Hat (knitting) [Ravelry
  2. Finishing work for some old crewel pictures (sewing) 
  3. Look Through My Window quilt for me (quilting)
  4. Mother of Dragons shawl (knitting) [Ravelry
  5. St. Charles (needlepoint)
  6. Valley of the Heart's Delight sampler design (cross stitch)
UFOs/Hibernation:
  1. Be My Baby for My Baby (knitting) [Ravelry]
  2. Bear Paw pottery (needlepoint)
  3. Canto de Sirena shawl (knitting) [Ravelry]
  4. Peacock Majesty by Just Nan (cross stitch)
  5. Tucson Twilight (needlepoint)

.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...