Wednesday, June 13, 2007

ready for my close-up...

...presenting Burning Bush 3-ply yarn (close to "true" color):

Burning Bush yarn finished!
and the close-up:

Close-up of Burning Bush yarn
Specs:
Louet's Northern Lights roving, spaced dyed 100% wool top (8 ounces)
Color: Burning Bush (#34)

Spun and plied on Lendrum Folding wheel
Yield: 390+ yards traditional 3-ply; approx. 50 yards Navajo plied
Weight: average 15 wpi; somewhere between weight 2 (fine) and 3 (light)

I did a better job of plying on this yarn than on previous ones, but I still need to improve my consistency.

I was way off on estimating yardage on the singles. I ending up with a lot more on one bobbin than the other two, hence the 50 yard of Navajo-plied yarn. What was interesting: the two bobbins that came out "even" each weighed 3 to 4 grams more than the bobbin with the extra yardage. The bobbin with extra yardage was also the last bobbin I spun, so my only conclusion is that my spinning was thinner on the third bobbin.

So what will this become? I think it looks more like a sweater than a pair of socks, so I might check out a few simple shell patterns.

I did manage to get a little knitting done, I am now ready to start the heels of my Tide Walkers (the toe-up Jaywalker socks in Blue Moon's sock club "Walking on the Wild Tide" Silkie yarn). So far the fit is perfect, but I think I may go up a needle size for the heel just to make sure I can get them on. I don't want to frog these like I did the last pair of Jaywalkers!

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...