Friday, August 31, 2007

Eye can't-believe-it's-the-last-day-of-August Candy Friday...

...gee, where did that month go???

Finally finished my big work project yesterday. Yay! That took a lot of time and energy, leaving very little left over for crafty things. I haven't spun since the weekend and I only managed to knit a couple of rows on my socks. I really need this long weekend! So, let's catch-up a little...

Last day of August sky picture, just cuz:

August Sky
Here is the latest installment from the Rockin' Sock Club, called Flower Power. Lots of people have posted pictures of the full skein, so I've show you a close-up of the yarn and the emergency skein.

Flower Power yarn
Here's the first bobbin of the Blue Moon roving from Spunky Eclectic. You can see that it's thicker than my previous singles and I've purposely introduced a little thick-thin character to it. I split the roving in half and spun this bobbin in one chunk to get long spans of color. I'm spinning the second half in lengthwise strips to get shorter span of color. I think it will be really pretty when they are plied with Royal Blue thread.

Blue Moon, bobbin 1
And last but not least, my early birthday present from my bestest pal, Jane. (She's the recipient of the spinning kit I made earlier this year.) Anyway, she's been teasing me for weeks about her secret project, dropping hints that now make sense, but made absolutely no sense at the time. She named this "little" project Saheli, which means friend.

I picked up the package Monday and took it home. I was under strict orders not to open the contents, but I could open the shipping box and look inside...which I did. Hmmm, 3 wrapped packages and a card. On Wednesday, during our weekly IM session, she let me open my present.

First up, she gave me Yarn Harlot's At Knits End. I love this book!

Next was some scented votives with a glass holder are wonderful...it made the whole box smell heavenly.

And finally, Saheli...she is a fabulous, handmade niddy-noddy! Isn't she pretty??

Saheli, my new niddy-noddy!
Jane, with her wonderful husband's help, made it with her own little hands. The end pieces are cut from redwood, hand-sanded, and sealed to a very smooth finish.The core is painted gold, and as you can sort of see in the picture, there is a quote and my birthday on one side in gold letters; her name is on the other side (and something else that escapes me at the moment). It will be perfect for silks because it is so smooth! I wish my pictures turned out better so you can see how beautiful the wood looks. I'll try again this weekend when I'm not as rushed.

A perfect birthday present...thanks Jane and Gordon!! You're the best!

This is a four-day weekend for me—after the craziness of the last month, I decided that I needed an extra day off. Since my birthday is Tuesday, I just extended my weekend! LOL! My plan is to spin the whole day and just enjoy myself.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...