Monday, March 17, 2008

weekend o' crafts = sore wrists...

...but mentally I'm recharged!

Of course, as it is with many of these weekends, I felt like I had to do something useful around the house first. So I did all of the laundry (The Husband usually does this chore) and put everything away. I also took all of the books that were piled up in the bedroom to the loft and put them away in the bookshelves. (Because I read fast, there are always at least 10 books on the floor by my nightstand...it had gotten way beyond that.) And I cleaned up the kitchen.

Only then did I feel that I could get started on my crafty weekend. The first thing on my list was to visit Bobbin's Nest Studio. This is a relatively new shop and I had heard a lot of good things about it, plus they carry some fabric. I felt very welcome from the moment I walked in the door. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I was on a mission to buy a book of baby patterns and yarn to make some baby items—I found both. I got the Debbie Bliss "Essential Baby" book and bought yarn for one of her patterns, plus yarn for a baby item in "Last Minute Knitted Gifts," and yarn for a baby item in "One-Skein Wonders."

Merino 5 yarn, variegated

Sheep Number 3

Bamboo yarn

So what did I work on?
  • Worked on the secret birthday present for a good part of Saturday.
  • Finished spinning the Penngrove Purples fiber; I'm letting the singles sit for a day or so before I ply them.
  • Started spinning Copperhead 2, a Falkland top from Yarn Wench. I'm using the instructions in the "Stretch Your Color" article from the latest Knitty and modifying them slightly to see whether I can control the colors a bit better.

    Copperhead 2, first bobbin

  • Worked on the Lenore socks: finished the gusset decreases and I'm now working on the foot.
I didn't work on any sewing or quilting projects. I'll get back to that soon, but I really wanted to work on the other stuff for a while.

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...