Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Back to our regular sock knitting...

...done with baby knitting for a while!

Last month, I cast on the first sock in the Bird of Paradise pattern (by Sundara Yarn), but I didn't get much farther than that. After taking a few days off from craftiness, I picked up the yarn again last night. I cast on the second sock and did two rows of the cuff pattern. OK, not a lot, but at least both socks are started, see:


Midsummer Paradise socks, cast on

This pattern came from Sundara's Petals Collection sock club. Unfortunately, the yarn was a little too bright for me, so I decided to use Midsummers Night Socks That Rock yarn from Blue Moon Fiber Arts. I'm calling these socks Midsummer Paradise [Ravelry].

I thought about knitting this pattern one sock at a time, but I really do like have both socks done at the same time. No matter how carefully I take notes, the two socks are always slightly different if I do them one at time. I knit on the tight side, but it's even tighter if I'm stressed. At least the tension factor is the same on both socks when I do them two at a time!


I also like knitting the socks on two circulars; I tried the magic loop and while that worked fine, I'm happier with the two circs. I do use DPNs for the heels and them go back to the circulars for the toes. I've gotten pretty fast at moving back and forth between the two types of needles, so this is not a big deal.

For Mother's Day, I received the complete Knit Picks Harmony Options and Harmony DPN sets, plus a couple of extra circulars for sock knitting. These are my new favorite needles.

I
totally love the Harmony circulars and DPNs for sock knitting! They are pretty, smooth, and just feel good to knit with. Before I got my Harmony needles, Crystal Palace were my favorite DPNs. While the Harmony DPNs are now number one, the Crystal Palace needles are readily available locally, so I don't think I'll give them up just yet! However, I do need to figure out what to do with all those "other" needles that I have!

Anyway, I'm happy to be knitting socks again. These will go on vacation with me, as well the other knitting and spinning projects I'm taking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Destash the extra needles? Although I never have seen a needle destash I suppose it can be done. Me? I keep all my needles even if I have multiples of one size. Terry

marie said...

Yeah, I think destash for some of them. I know what you mean about keeping the extras, though. However, in some cases I have 10 of the same size (can you say "quest for the perfect needle"?). I really don't think I need 10! LOL!

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...