Monday, May 17, 2010

it was a nice weekend...

... and I enjoyed being crafty!

As I mentioned Friday, I decided to get rid of my cross stitch magazines. I never look at them and I'm not stitching as much any more. I had a brainstorm on Sunday and contacted the local chapter of the Embroiderer's Guild to see whether they wanted them. I also asked them if they knew of any charitable organizations who might be interested in a bunch of kits and charts.  I'd rather give this stuff to someone who could use them!

I spent most of Saturday spinning, knitting, and reading. The Husband went on a bike ride in the morning, so I had the house to myself again and just reveled in the quiet. The cats hung out with me in the living room. They didn't seem to mind that I didn't pull out the vacuum monster. LOL!

I started spinning this:

Iris Merino Bamboo top

It's Merino-Bamboo from Miss Babs Hand-dyed Yarns & Fibers. It spins up nicely and I'm really enjoying it. So far I've spun about 2 of the 4 ounces. 

I am working away on the socks, but I'm getting really bored with them. The pattern looks great, but I'm finding it rather trying. I think it's because it uses combinations of k1tbl (knit 1 through the back loop) and purl. I'm slow at purling and slow at k1tbl. At least I'm now on the foot and I only have to nit through the back loop on the pattern side; the back is, thankfully, stockinette...gotta love nothing but knit stitches!

I did manage to free up my ironing board so I could press the top and backing for my Flower Power quilt. It's ready to sandwich...I just didn't feel like crawling on the floor to pin it. Maybe I'll bring it into the office and pin it here. We have two 8 foot folding tables that we use for meetings that is perfect for pin basting...much better to do this standing than sitting on the floor!

I've been working my way through the book "Dead Witch Walking" by Kim Harrison. She's a new author for me and I'm having a little difficulty getting into her rhythm.  I'm also reading "Hannah's List," a new book by Debbie Macomber that I picked up at Target on Sunday.  

I don't think I mentioned it here, but I joined Goodreads.com, mostly to keep track of what I've read and what I've purchased. I read so much that it's sometimes hard too know just by title whether I've read a book or not. I'm hoping that by using this site, I'll avoid buying duplicate books! I joined the site April 17th and so far I have identified 583 books that I have read. I've finished 9 books since then. (I know, seriously geeky wanting to track this!)

Back on Wednesday with some WIPs!

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...