Friday, January 06, 2012

F.O. Friday after all...

...thanks to the USPS who delivered the rest of Jane's gift today. Hooray!

Here is the scarf that matches Jane's hat:
Scarf for Jane

Specs:
Started 12/10/11 (and restarted multiple times...)
Finished 1/1/12
Pattern: I used the pattern rows from Noro Spiral One-skein Hat by Manuèle Ducret to knit a tube that matches the hat.
Yarn: Mini Mochi in Caramel Latte, doubled
          The fringe is leftover Chunky Mochi from the hat

This is a double thickness scarf, knit as a tube. I cast on 40 on 4 DPNs and joined the ends. I knit 4 setup rows and then knit the pattern rows as directed. I basically just kept knitting the pattern rows until I was nearly out of yarn. I knit 3 rows and cast off. I steam=pressed it flat and added the fringe. I decided to knot the ends of the fringe because the Mochi yarn tends to return to its original fiber form (read: falls apart).

The reason I had so much trouble with it in the beginning was because I was trying to knit it with a single strand. The Mini Mochi was not cooperating. It is like knitting with thin roving...it came apart and it was easy to lose my place. Once I doubled it, it worked fine.

The challenge was trying to match up the color runs. There are a couple of places where I was not able to match the colors without wasting a great deal of yarn. Since I could not get any more of this color locally and I didn't have tome to order it online, I made do.

At any rate, I do like how it turned out and using the leftover Chunky Mochi for the fringe was a great idea.

Glad you like it, Jane!
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...