Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Missing the ocean already...

...Sunday already seems so long ago.

The Husband and I had a great weekend despite the pouring rain on Friday and Sunday. We stayed at the Half Moon Bay Inn in downtown. It's a 15-room inn above a bustling Italian restaurant. The restaurant was a little noisy at times, but their live guitar music was an unexpected bonus.

The inn was 2 doors down from Fengari., the yarn store I wanted to visit. I had seen Fengari at a couple of shows (at least one Stitches West) and hadn't ever been to the store. Since we couldn't do much on Friday because of the rain, I took to opportunity to cruise the store. They have a lot of specialty yarns (ribbon yarns, eyelash yarns, etc.) as well as merino, alpaca, etc. Yes, I bought souvenir yarn:

Neptune Rainbow Chunky Mochi

This is Chunky Mochi in Neptune Rainbow. I loved the hat I knit for Jane so much that I bought this yarn to make my own.

Friday night, we ate at the restaurant below the inn, It's Italia. What a treat to just walk down the stairs and go one door over to get to the restaurant. The food was really good, but the dessert was spectacular--a deconstructed lemon meringue tart: two crispy cookies on one end of a rectangular plate, a swath of lemon and a swath of caramel leading to light, fluffy meringue at the other end. I wish that I had taken a picture of it! The only picture I took that night was of my Blood Orange Bellini:

Blood Orange Bellini

Saturday was gorgeous and we spent quite a while at the ocean. We walked up and down Montara Beach:

Receding wave

and then walked the bluff trail at Fitzgerald State Reserve.

View from the bluff trail

There are more pictures in this Flickr set.

We had dinner at La Costanera, which serves contemporary Peruvian food. It was fabulous! In addition to entree-size portions, they offer small plates, so you can do the tapas thing if you want. We ordered 5 small plates plus dessert and they were all yummy. My favorite was shrimp in a tamarind sauce served with a sweet potato puree. The dessert was Flan de Quinoa served with a fresh strawberry and caramel sauce. The quinoa was mostly in a sauce that reminded me of a thin tapioca. Incredibly good!

It was raining again when we woke up on Sunday, so we gathered up our things and headed home. It was a very relaxing weekend and we both needed it so much. All in all, a great way to celebrate our anniversary!
.

1 comment:

Elf said...

Sounds like a perfect anniversary! Congratulations.

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...with a Finished Object. Every April 1st, we turn off our furnace to help save energy and keep our PG&E bill down. This year, w...