Monday, December 04, 2017

Monday, Monday...

...it came way too soon!

And yes, I am posting on a Monday. I decided to do a weekend report now while I have a chance.

Normally, I spend my first weekend in December buying any ingredients I still need and then baking fruitcakes and the other breads (like pumpkin). The cakes and breads go into the freezer until around the 22nd.

This year, Thanksgiving came early, which meant that I didn't quite have my act together to buy ingredients over the long weekend. Instead, I did the Trader Joe's run (nuts, butter, white chocolate chips) and the Smart and Final run (flour, sugar, chocolate chips, waxed paper, containers) on Saturday.

I have been unable to find the candied fruit for my fruitcakes locally. The Husband kindly checked a few other local stores for me, but was unable to find the orange peel. Between the two of us, we checked 8 local stores and only found a couple of citron and lemon peel containers and no orange peel.

On Thursday, I gave up and ordered from Amazon. They delivered the candied citron and candied lemon peel on Saturday. However, they were unable to deliver the candied orange peel on the weekend - I have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday. Who knew that candied orange peel would be so hard to find?!

This put a crimp in my baking schedule as I had plenty of time after shopping on Saturday to make the fruitcakes. Instead, I set up the kitchen for baking, went through the cupboards to see what I had in stock from last year (and dumped some expired stuff), and then worked on the mermaid.

On Sunday, I did the grocery run and bought the remaining ingredients for baking (eggs, apples) and the ingredients for dinner. I made the casserole for dinner and started making the cookie dough that needs to chill before baking.

In the refrigerator and ready to go:
  1. Sugar cookies
  2. Dark chocolate sugar cookies
  3. Mexican Wedding cookies
  4. Mexican Chocolate Wedding cookies
  5. Spumoni Slices
  6. Pistachio Swirls
  7. Chocolate Espresso Slices 
I have any energy left during the week, I could bake one of more of these. If not, they'll hold until the weekend.

We're getting our tree this coming weekend. Our advent calendars are up as well as the stockings. The Husband got the artificial tree from storage, so I could also work on setting up the Star Trek tree. Here's the 2012 version. There are a lot more ships on it now!

Star Trek Christmas Tree

Anyway, it all depends on how cold it is and how tired I am at the end of the work day. We'll see how much I actually get done this week!
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...