Top-of-the-Waves Tuesday...

...and the weekend report.

Well, I didn't quite finish my To Do list, but I got close!
  • I set up the Star Trek tree and decorated it.
  • I set up all my noisy Hallmark ornaments next to one of the villages.
  • As I mentioned in some previous posts, the Star Trek ornaments and the Hallmark Light and Motion ornaments require a bit of extra work. Before putting them away after Christmas, I remove all of the batteries. That way if any of them explode, they do so in the box and not in the ornament.

    What that means is that I have to check all of the batteries before I put them back in the ornament. There were lots of batteries that went bad in the last year. I had to buy two 10 packs for two sizes of button batteries and I've gone through a lot of AAA and AA batteries just to get the ornaments working again. It takes a lot of time to do this, but it's worth it!
  • I took all of the ornament storage boxes back upstairs.
  • While I was upstairs, I hung the lighted garland on the loft railing and set up the timer.
     
  • I decorated the Santa table - I have a bunch of stand-up Santas that I put on one side table. I put Mini-Sombra in one of the sleigsh next to Tigger.
Mini-Sombra in Santa's sleigh

  • I didn't actually mail the fruitcake to my brother until yesterday. Thank goodness for flat-rate boxes!
  • I baked one batch each of Mexican Wedding cookies and spritz. I also baked one batch of Grand Marnier biscotti. Baking = done!
  • I didn't finish the tree skirt, but I got close! I bought a round tablecloth from Bed, Bath, and Beyond that was a little bigger than my feature fabric. I re-pinned everything and sewed the outside seam.

    Then I had to stop and think about which other seams I could sew and still be able to turn the skirt inside out. I made a little mock-up that allowed me to do a test run. Then I sewed the inside seam and one side of the skirt opening. I trimmed the batting around the outside seam and turned the project...voila! It worked. 

    Now I need to go back and zig-zag the seams before trimming the excess fabric. This puppy is going to be tough to press, so I need to find a space to do that. Then a little top-stitching and adding some ties to hold it closed. Of all of the things that need to make this work, the ties might not make it. For this year, I might just pin it closed and add the ties after we take down the tree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogiversary Contest...

October 2007 recap...

Happy 10th Blogiversary to me...